gamification of education is senseless. why impute contrived value? education is inherently valuable.
This applies to all product teams effective ASAP. Products with high and very high user #s, those with pro and/or paid users may provide instead a ‘new look beta’ in which to more slowly transition their users.
1. action buttons of most importance shall be in the top of the left nav in red.
2. we shall use iconic representation whenever possible.
3. in cases of uncertainty or inability of iconic representation to communicate action, single word, or only if absolutely necessary, double word, representation of action shall be used.
4. confirmation buttons shall be green.
5. we shall endeavor to, whenever possible, provide a less dense data presentation. breathe.
6. given our requirement for lower content density, we must be more careful with the words and actions we present to users.
7. we use drop downs over modals.
8. groups, and reader are exempted, because of their imminent shutdown. (I suspect)
9. when we are uncertain about design decisions, we shall avoid designing.
Questions about whether design is necessary or affordable are quite beside the point: design is inevitable. The alternative to good design is bad design, not no design at all. Douglas Martin, 1989 
Or at least this is how I imagine it went.